Hello there!I'm Sonja, a fashion loving Dutchie living in Amsterdam. I'm a huge fashion lover, and I'm also a vegetarian, a crazy cat lady, an interior and pancake junkie, and I'm all about living a green and cruelty-free lifestyle!
Hit the about page if you would like to know more! :-)
March 22, 2015
Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /customers/5/c/4/retrosonja.com/httpd.www/wp-content/plugins/wordpress-23-related-posts-plugin/init.php on line 215 Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /customers/5/c/4/retrosonja.com/httpd.www/wp-content/plugins/wordpress-23-related-posts-plugin/recommendations.php on line 264
Today, I’m introducing you to a new challenge that I will be doing on the blog! I came up with this idea a little while ago, when I created an outfit with some items which I hadn’t worn for a long time. And I figured it would be fun to do some sort of project about that! In this project, I challenge myself to wear all my long-time-no-wear items at least one time.
I think everyone of you must have items in your closets which you haven’t worn for a very long time. Of some of those items, you might not even remember that you own them! So, maybe you would like to do this challenge with me? I call it the Mix or Ditch Challenge! So, you either mix the item in an outfit, or you have to ditch it! I will be doing this challenge in the upcoming weeks. I hope you’ll like following me during the challenge and maybe to participate yourself!
Mix or Ditch Challenge: Steps & Rules
- Sort out your closet and put everything you didn’t wear for a long time in one box, or another recognizable spot. For me ‘too long’ is when I didn’t wear the item in the entire last season it was applicaple to. So, if I have a sweater which I didn’t wear all fall or winter, I consider it too be too long. For a crop top, I would think about whether I wore it last summer. If not, I put it in the box! Of course, special occasion items, like prom dresses, don’t have to be taken into account. If you already find items at this stage of the challenge, of which you know you will not be going to wear them anymore, you can already put these in another box to sell or to give away to charity or friends!
- Now that you have your box, you’re challenged to create an outfit with at least one of these items, every other day. Or when you’re blogging about it; every other outfit you post. In my case, I post two outfits a week, so at least one of those should include an item from the ‘long time no wear’ box. Of course, you’re also allowed to use items from the box on other days. The ‘every other day’ rule, is just to keep things fun on days when you’re not full of inspiration ;-)
- If you have any items, you really can’t create any outfits with, it’s time to ditch them! You can give them to friends or charity, or sell them on the internet! Items that are out of season, are dismissed from the ditching rule. You could even do this challenge again in another season, with different items!
- Set a time frame. Keep in mind the amount of items you have and set a time frame.
- Have fun!
I didn’t have a chance to sort out my closet yet. So, I will be doing that this week! As soon as I post my first Mix or Ditch outfit, I will also show you my box of items and let you know what’s my time frame!
And I hope you will take part in the challenge as well! Also, feel free to do this challenge on your blog or Instagram page! If you do so, I would love a link back to my blog, of course ;-) And if you were not convinced, here are some reasons to do this challenge!
Why do this challenge?
- You get to shop in your own closet! Shopping, but not spending money = fun!
- You rediscover items you forgot you had.
- You get to be creative!
- You will probably be trying combinations which are totally new to you. So, maybe you’ll find a new favorite combo!
So, will you be following me during this challenge? And will you be taking part, as well?! If you do, I would love to know! If you post any photos on Instagram you can use #mixorditch and/or tag me (@RetroSonja) in it! I would love to see your outfits!
P.S. There are possibly already similar challenge out there. I couldn’t find them, so I came up with it myself. But I can imagine that I might not be the first one.
(Visited 2 times, 1 visits today)